The Trinidad and Tobago Association of Village and Community Councils (TTAVCC) is the only organization that is constitutionally mandated as the legitimate administrative body over all NGOs and CBOs
In Trinidad and Tobago. It is also the only organization recognized and supported by the Ministry of Community Development. With a 50-year history, this organization has been instrumental in the development of many of our local community organizations.
The Mission of the Trinidad and Tobago Association of Village & Community Councils is to be the main instrument and networking agency for all community groups, in providing a greater sense of awareness and generally raising the standard of living of all the peoples of Trinidad and Tobago.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- ) To promote the interests and welfare of the community by:-
- ) Fostering cultural, recreational, educational, spiritual, social and economic activities.
- ) Mobilizing the co-operative efforts of all members of the community in the pursuit of self-help and other measures for total development.
- ) To co-operate with government and other agencies in the promotion of community development activities aimed at improving life in the community.
- ) To pool the resources of the community with those of other communities, through the Trinidad and Tobago Association of Village and Community Councils towards national and regional achievement.
- ) To monitor and where appropriate undertake the provision of services including works for maintenance of the community’ s infrastructure and facilities.
- ) To foster the protection and enhancement of the environment by assisting in preserving the natural habitat of man, animals, plants and marine life without pollution.
- ) To establish and maintain a Youth Arm within the Unit Council, capable of meeting the aspirations of youths in the community.
- ) Membership in the Youth Arm shall be for youth between the ages of 15 and 25 years.
The Board of Executives of the Trinidad and Tobago Association of Village & Community Councils is elected annually at an Annual General Meeting.
The last Board of Executives were elected to their position on TTAVCC is one of the developmental pillars (a framework developed by the United Nations) for improving the social, cultural and economic environments in the communities that have established and officially registered a Village or Community Council.
The goal of this framework is to integrate communities into the national planning framework. A more detailed description of the pillars along with a list of supporting organizations can be accessed HERE